David Wiley is an author of science fiction and fantasy stories, choosing to write the stories that he would love to read. His first fantasy novella, A Merchant in Oria, was published by OWS Ink, LLC. and is available now. His first novel, Monster Huntress, will be coming in 2018.
His short fiction has previously been published in Sci Phi Journal, OWS Ink, Mystic Signals and King Arthur anthologies by Uffda Press and 18th Wall Productions. David resides in central Iowa with his wife and their cats and spends his time reading, writing, and playing board games.
Books I’ve Written:
- A Merchant in Oria, a short novella that follows the adventures of a young merchant who visits the dwarven kingdom of Oria, only to find that not everything is as it seems and that the freedom of the dwarves may depend on his willingness to take action. This was published on April 28, 2017 by OWS Ink, LLC. and the links to buy are on the A Merchant in Oria page on this website.
- Monster Huntress, a YA Fantasy novel about a young girl, Ava, who dreams of hunting monsters like her father. When their village falls under attack, her father believes he caught a glimpse of the monster who killed Ava’s mother. He departs to track the monster and Ava disobeys to follow after him, and they both get swept up into adventures, intrigues, and some hunting of monsters along the way. This book is likely to be released in 2018, although there is a chance for Fall 2017.
Anthologies Containing My Work:
- Tales from Our Write Side: An Anthology by OWS Ink, LLC. This anthology contains my short story, “The Portentous Passenger”, a YA Science Fiction story about a young man named Ezekiel whose first day on the job as a taxi shuttle driver takes a few unexpected turns.
- Monsters: A TPQ Anthology by Bushmead Publishing. This anthology contains my poem, “Taking Down Goliath”, which is written in Spenserian Stanzas and chronicles an unnamed monster huntress who fights with her own inner monsters while fighting a giant.
- After Avalon by 18th Wall Productions. This anthology contains my short story, “The Saga of Freydis Beastsbane”, a story following a young girl in Medieval Iceland who longs to be a Shieldmaiden.
- Sci Phi Journal, Q1 2016, by Sci Phi Journal. This anthology contains my short story, “The First Martian Church of God”, a Science Fiction short story chronicling attempts to start a church on Mars.
- Quickfic Volume 1 Anthology by Digitalfictionpub.com. This anthology contains my short story, “The Unobliging Princess”, a short and humorous tale about a quixotic knight rescuing a princess who isn’t completely enamored with the idea of being rescued.
- King of Ages: A King Arthur Anthology, by Uffda Press. This anthology contains my short story, “The Saga of Artur Uthersson”, a short story that places King Arthur in the settlement period of Iceland (7th-8th Century).
Other Magazines/Volumes Containing My Work:
- OWS Ink: 2016 Summer Issue, Volume 1, Issue 2 by Our Write Side. This contains two of my works, a poem titled “Remembrance” and a short essay about one of Shakespeare’s plays titled “Much Ado About Beatrice”.
- OWS Ink: 2016 Spring Issue, Volume 1 by Our Write Side. This contains “Words Like Rain”, a fantasy short story.
- Mystic Signals, Volume 26 by Wolfsinger Publications. This contains “Doppelganger Danger”, a short story about Ava, a Monster Huntress.
- Firewords Quarterly, Issue 2 by Firewords. This contains “Lost in a Familiar Place”, a flash fiction story.
- 2012-2013 Sequel by Simpson College. This contains “Running Away” and “The Annual Campaign”, two poems, as well as the short story “The Unobliging Princess”. You can read this publication online for free here.
- West Campus Words: Volume 2: 2009-2011 by Des Moines Area Community College. This contains “Poetic Resurrection”, an essay about a need for the revival of poetry.
Works You Can Read Online:
- “The Annual Campaign”, a free verse poem about changing seasons, was published on Our Write Side. You can read it here.
- “The First Martian Church of God”, a Science Fiction short story chronicling attempts to start a church on Mars, is located at Sci Phi Journal. You will need to pledge on their Patreon to access the full story. Instructions for that are here, and the story can be found by going here.
- “The Unobliging Princess”, a short and humorous tale about a quixotic knight rescuing a princess who isn’t completely enamored with the idea of being rescued, was reprinted on Digital Fiction Pub. You can find and read the story by going here
- “Midnight Flight”, a short story about a boy named Talon Draco Hoard who finds something on his way home from school, is being published in two parts. You can read part one now, and then go check out part two as well.
- “The Best Birthday”, a short story about a young girl who has the best birthday of her young life, can be read on Our Write Side by following this link.
- “The Fear of the Unwritten”, a sonnet about the fear of dying before all my stories can be told, can be read on Eat Sleep Write by following this link.
- “Ogre Hunt”, a short story about Ava that takes place prior to the events of “Doppelganger Danger”, was published in five parts on Eat Sleep Write back in August of 2015.